Denver Guitar Orchestra
It’s time to help guitars find their way out of the schools, and your closets, and put them to use in a fun city-wide ensemble. We are looking to grow an orchestra from scratch with guitarists who all understand what working as a team can do for them. Are you eligible to join? The short answer is YES. The long answer is you’ll need to get Level 3 certified to begin ensemble work, so email us today and we’ll get you started. email@example.com
Sheet music and tablature arranged for chords and singing, straight melody playing, guitar ensemble, and fingerstyle chord-melody performance. Dates next to the song title indicates the latest edit. Testing criterion can be found at the bottom of this page.
Song Lists for Certification:
One Chord Songs for Level 1 Certification:
Download all the sheet music in the Level 1 Workbook HERE.
- Farmer in the Dell (Jan. 3, 2016) Sheet Music
- Frère Jacques (Jan. 3, 2016) Sheet Music
- Row Row Row Your Boat (Jan. 3, 2016) Sheet Music
- Three Blind Mice (Jan. 3, 2016) Sheet Music
Two Chord Songs for Level 2 Certification:
Download all the sheet music in the Level 2 Workbook HERE.
- A-Tisket, A-Tasket (Feb. 14, 2017) Sheet Music
- Ain’t Gonna Rain No Mo’ (Feb. 2, 2017) Sheet Music
- Alouette (Feb. 2, 2017) Sheet Music
- Buffalo Gals (Jan. 18, 2016) Sheet Music
- Clementine (Jan. 12, 2016) Sheet Music
- Drunken Sailor (Jan. 18, 2016) Sheet Music
- Go Tell Aunt Rhody (Jan. 21, 2016) Sheet Music
- Hush Little Baby (Jan. 10, 2016) Sheet Music
- Itsy Bitsy Spider (Jan. 21, 2016) Sheet Music
Three and Four Chord Songs for Level 3 Certification:
- Ah! Vous Dirai-je, Maman (Feb. 2, 2017) PDF
- Amazing Grace (Feb. 2, 2017) PDF
- Danny Boy (Feb. 2, 2017) PDF
- Blowin’ in the Wind (Feb. 14, 2017) PDF
- Down by the Riverside (Feb. 19, 2017) PDF
- This Land is Your Land (Feb. 10, 2017) PDF
Pop Songs for Level 4 Certification:
Not-So-Pop Songs for Level 5 Certification:
- Andante in G by Carulli (Feb. 19, 2017) PDF
Christmas Song List:
- Adeste Fideles (Nov. 24, 2016): PDF
- Angels We Have Heard on High (Oct. 13, 2015): PDF
- Auld Lang Syne (Oct. 24, 2016): PDF
- First Noel (Sept. 9, 2015): PDF
- Greensleeves (Oct. 26, 2014): PDF
- Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring (Aug. 14, 2016): PDF
- Joy to the World (Dec. 18, 2016) PDF
- O Come O Come Emmanuel (Sept. 14, 2015): PDF
- Silent Night (Sept. 12, 2016): PDF
- Silver Bells (Oct. 13, 2015): Email Me.
- Up on the House Top (Sept. 25, 2016): PDF
- We Three Kings (Sept. 25, 2016): PDF
- We Wish You a Merry Christmas (Oct. 27, 2014): PDF
- White Christmas (Nov. 21, 2016): Email Me.
Orchestra Level Certifications:
“Pre-selections” must be approved by instructor.
Material used in a lower level may not be duplicated in a higher level.
- Be able to tune your guitar without assistance.
- Play chords while strumming and singing all songs in Book 1.
- Play melody lines from tablature or standard notation for all songs in Book 1.
- Be prepared to play chords and sing all songs in Book 2.
- Be prepared to play melody from tablature or notation for all songs in Book 2.
- Play the TuffAxe (chord-melody fingerstyle line) for ONE song of your choice.
- Be prepared to play chords and sing all songs in Book 3.
- Be prepared to play melody from tablature or notation for all songs in Book 3.
- Play TuffAxe on three pre-selected songs in Book 3.
- Play at least two songs in small ensemble with assigned parts.
- Play TuffAxe on three new pre-selected songs.
- One of the three chosen TuffAxe presentations must be memorized.
- Play in small ensemble with pre-selected music.
- Play TuffAxe on two memorized song.
- Play in large ensemble with standard repertoire.
- Perform in small ensemble.
- Perform a memorized solo for audience.
- Perform in large ensemble.
- Performance examination.
- Completed teacher training
- Taught through level 5
- Pre-test to assure readiness.
- Performance skills test.
- Oral examination.
- Receive graduation certificate.
Orchestra Examiner Rubrics:
- Level 1:
- Demonstrate memorized chords A, E, D, G.
- Play all four songs with voice and chords.
- Play all four melodies using tablature.
- Discussion on posture and theory.
- Level 2
- Level 3
- Level 4
- Level 5
- Level 6
- Level 7
Use of sheet music is always acceptable unless skill is to be memorized.
Guitar Ensemble arrangements
- Singers (voice with chords)
- One guitar (melody)
- Two guitars (melody and chords)
- Three guitars (melody, chords, tuff)
- Four guitars (melody, chords, tuff, arpeggio)
- Five guitars (melody, chords, tuff, arpeggio, bassline)