It's actually pronounced AHM-buh-shure ... not ahm-BOO-shure.
First time here? You might want to watch the video above once or twice and click on the following links.
- Your Official DAY ONE Book: PDF
- Ukulele chord chart: PDF
- Our Harmonica Library
- Our Video Archive
- Weekly Schedule
What type of harmonica should you buy?
You'll need a diatonic harmonica in the Key of C. Here are some choices in order of price our members have used successfully. The higher priced ones are better.
- (Low Price and Works Well) Folkmaster: Amazon Price
- (Gary's Favorite) Special 20: Amazon Price
- (Our Group's Favorite) Crossover: Amazon Price
To play more modern music you'll need a chromatic harmonica in the Key of C. Here are some choices in order of price our members have used successfully. The higher priced ones are better.
- (Low Price and has all 12 Holes) EastTop Forerunner: Amazon Price
- (Industry Standard but Pricey) Super Chromonica: Amazon Price
How to Play Harmonica
To help teach somebody else how to play, download all these slides HERE.
- Wash your hands.
- Brush your teeth.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Sit up tall and pretty.
- Breathe from your belly.
- Don't blow too hard.
- Pucker up. Gross!
- Air needs to go through one hole at a time.
- Kiss the harmonica ... what?
- Use your kissing muscles for your embouchure.
- Your muscles and tongue also help you bend notes.
- Be ready to “tooo” between every note.
- Cup the harmonica with both hands.
- Move your hands, not your face.
- Harmonica tabs:
- 4 blow
- ~4 draw
- 4* blow with button in
- ~4* draw with button in
- (456) use multiple holes for chords
- Our sheet music includes ensemble arrangements for singers, pianists, guitarists, ukulele players, and any trained musician.
You should visit the Harmonica Library after you're up and running.
Health Experts Weigh In on Harmonica Benefits for Your Lungs
- Here's an article from the COPD Foundation: https://www.copdfoundation.org/Learn-More/I-am-a-Person-with-COPD/Harmonicas-for-Health.aspx
- Here's a respiratory therapist going over the basics: https://www.webmd.com/lung/copd/features/harmonica-and-copd
- Here is a small scientific study on harmonica and COPD Patients. It works!: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7155980/